Thursday, January 26, 2012

Firethorn by Ronie Kendig [5 Stars]

I had seen on this authors facebook page that she was looking for book influencers, so I thought I would offer and was thrilled when she decided to send me a book in exchange for an (honest) review!
Firethorn by Ronie Kendig is the fourth (and sadly, final) book in the Discarded Heroes series.
Firethorn follows former Marine Griffin "Legend" Riddel, who finds himself sitting in a maximum security prison facing charges for a murder he didn't commit.

Covert operative Kazi Faron is hired to break Griffen out of prison and reassemble the newly dismantled Nightshade team.

As Kazi and Griffen race around the world to rescue the Nightshade team, Griffen learns that Kazi has secrets. Secrets that could get them killed.
Will they find the traitor in time? And can they learn to trust each other long enough to save the team?

I knew going into this book it was going to be bittersweet, considering it's the last Discarded Heroes book. The Nightshade team is a group of characters I have grown to love and respect and am sad to see go. But then again, if I have to say goodbye to some of my favorite characters, might as well see them go out with a bang. Literally.
If I had to sum this book up in one word...it would be intense. I don't know how Ms. Kendig continues to write such amazing books. The action is fast paced and exciting; it draws you in and won't let go! I am not really an emotional person, but I was getting teary toward the end of the book (anyone who reads it will know exactly why!) so for me, an author who is able to get me emotionally invested into a book has to be good.
Each and every character is true to life and they bring so much to the story as they deal with the underlying themes of hope, faith, redemption, rejection, and family. It was interesting to see how each of the complex plot lines came together toward the end, there was one I hadn't figured out and was surprised with how it ended up. This is a book that is hard to put down, as you are always left wondering what's going to happen next.
I am so glad I was given the chance to review this book. This series is one I will definitely be picking up and reading again.
Firethorn is the perfect conclusion to the Nightshade series.

If you love suspense/thrillers, or are a fan of shows like 24 or The Bourne movies, this is a series for you! I cannot praise/recommend this series enough.

Note-I would recommend reading this series in order, starting with Nightshade.

1 comment:

  1. Fantastic review, Nicole! Thank you for taking the team to read FIRETHORN and for sharing your honest thoughts!!

    ReplyDelete