Sunday, September 8, 2013

Shattered by Dani Pettrey [3 stars]

Shattered by Dani Pettrey
From back cover:
When her prodigal brother's return to Yancey, Alaska, is shattered by his arrest for murder, Piper McKenna is determined to protect him.
Deputy Landon Grainger loves the McKenna's like family, but he's also sworn to find the truth. And he knows those closest to you have the power to deceive you the most. With his sheriff pushing for a quick conviction, some unexpected leads complicate the investigation, and pursuing the truth puts Landon's career in jeopardy.
When Piper launches her own investigation, Landon realizes he must protect her from herself-and from whatever complications await as the two follow clues deep into Canada's rugged backcountry. Not only does their long friendship seem to be turning into something more, but this dangerous case is becoming deadlier with each step.

After being dissatisfied with the first book in the Alaskan Courage series, I wasn't sure what to expect when I picked up this book. I had trouble with all the different points-of-view in the beginning, it was a little confusing, but once I got all the characters straightened out it was ok. I just do not like having more that 2 or 3 different points-of-view throughout a book as it gets very confusing keeping everyone straight.
I also thought Piper was rather annoying with her 'I'm going to do whatever I want' attitude. There is a difference between being independent and being stupid!
I did like the plot line. The story was good and kept me guessing throughout most of the book. About 2/3 of the way through the book I started piecing things together and figured the plot out; but I thought the book was well done in that regard. I did find the romance aspect to be pretty cheesy and juvenile.
Again, I was disappointed in the authors lack of research. There are so many little facts that were wrong and could have been right had the author taken a couple of minutes to run a Google search! I really didn't get how Landon has jurisdiction in Canada and the fact that the ending
*mini spoiler below!*

takes place around this big blizzard in Portland when Portland rarely gets snow, let alone a blizzard!

*end mini spoiler!*

Overall, this was just an ok read for me. Not too exciting, but not a bad read either. I'll pick up the next book in the series and I hope by then the author will learn to do some research!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment