Sunday, June 10, 2012

Submerged by Dani Pettrey [2.5 stars]

Submerged by Dani Pettrey
From the back of the book:
Bailey Craig vowed never to set foot in Yancey, Alaska, again.
She has a past - and a reputation, and Yancey's a town that doesn't forget. She's returned only to bury a loved one killed in a plane crash. But then dark evidence emerges and Bailey's expertise becomes invaluable for the case.
Cole McKenna can face dangerous rescue dives. He can face the fear a murderer may be threatening his town. But facing the reality of Bailey's reappearance is a tougher challenge. She broke his heart...but doesn't seem to be the same girl who left Yancey ten years ago. And he's not the same guy she left behind.
Racing against the clock and a rising body count, Bailey and Cole must move beyond the hurts of their pasts to work together until the truth of what is hidden in the depths finally resurfaces.

I thought this book sounded really good when I first heard about it; and while the story was pretty good, I was continually irritated by the author's complete lack of knowledge on Alaska. When I read a book, I want to know the author did his or her research and knows what they're talking about.
This author didn't get much right in that regard.
Such as:
-The average temperature in SE Alaska in the summer is in the 60's...not the 70's and 80's as she was saying. That would be record breaking temps in Kodiak (where the town of Yancey was modeled) if it got up into the 80's.

-The author kept trying to make it sound like everyone in Alaska lives the hang loose lifestyle, board shorts and flip flops. This is Alaska, not Hawaii! It's way too cold and unpractical to dress like that!
-There really aren't a lot of sandy beaches in Alaska. Most of the coastline there is rock. And if there did happen to be a sandy beach, it's probably not going to be big enough to go for a run on. You'd break your ankle on a rock.
-And my favorite? The part where they say it's hard to rent a boat during peak king crab season...it's summertime. King crab season runs from October to January. I would know, my dad used to fish king crab!
There were more, but I don't want to get too picky. I really don't want to seem mean, but if the author can't get simple facts straight, how am I supposed to be convinced of the bigger story?

I really did think the writing was good, especially for a first time author. And the plot was quite intricate, enough so that I could follow it well without getting lost.
The characters were ok, I didn't love them, but I didn't dislike them either. And I also found the romance part to be a little cheesy. Overall, this book was just an ok read for me.

I'll read the next book in the series, but I hope the author does some research.

If you're looking for a good mystery book based in Alaska, I would highly recommend something by Kimberley and Kayla Woodhouse.

No comments:

Post a Comment