Thursday, December 13, 2012

Murder in Miami by Noel Hynd [2.5 stars]

Murder in Miami by Noel Hynd
From back cover:
Between midnight and dawn most people are dead to the world, others are just dead.

U.S. Treasury Agent Alexandra LaDuca travels to Miami to continue her investigations into the murder-and-money laundering activities of the Dosi cartel, an intrigue set in motion in Hostage in Havana. Sent there by the U.S. Treasury Department to speak with a recent Cuban defector, she soon realizes this key player may be no help at all.

A vast global money laundering scheme fueled by cocaine profits. A woman who promises to put Alex in touch with the spirit world. A lethal trap by the Dosi cartel. A handsome actor back in New York who suggests that love and romance may soon return to Alex's life. All this is what Alex is up against as she attempts to navigate a Miami underworld that encompasses elements of the surreal and supernatural.

But can Alex emerge from this world with her life--and her faith--intact? Can she get past the painful tragedy of her past and discover God's plan for her future?


To put it bluntly, I really did not like this book. It seemed to drag on forever and I felt as though I would never get done with it. There were tons of unnecessary details, no character development (this is the fifth book and I still don't really know anything about Alex and her personality.) Since the book is based mostly in Miami, there is a lot of Spanish, but not a whole lot of translation. Which is quite frustrating to someone who doesn't know Spanish! Dialogue was pretty boring and I thought Alex's love interest was pretty lame. I was really missing Ben (the Veteran from the previous books, I don't really remember what happened with him, but I think he would've made a much better romantic interest.) There were a few times I kept hoping the plot would pick up and something interesting would happen, but it felt like even the author didn't know what to have happen and would kill someone else off just for the heck of it.

I don't really know what else to say about this book. I hate having to write such a negative review, because I don't like to be mean; but I just felt like I wasted so much time reading this and I kind of felt cheated by the story. I don't think I will be buying the next book.

No comments:

Post a Comment